For many patients, dental implants are a way to restore the look and function of their smile. This procedure has become a popular tooth replacement option in recent years. Patients should be aware of these important facts about implants to determine if the procedure is the right choice for them.The process of dental implants involves…
Why Visit a Dentist Who Performs Laser Dentistry?
Laser dentistry provides a less invasive way to perform dental treatments. It often reduces the need for metal dental tools which can irritate soft tissues in the mouth and are more likely to lead to an infection. A laser is a concentrated beam of light that generates heat. Adjusting the wavelength of a laser alters the amount of heat it generates, changing the way it interacts with soft and hard tissues.
Common uses of laser dentistry
Lasers can be used to replace metal tools when performing treatments such as:
- Gum reshaping
- Removing infected soft and hard tissues
- Cleaning teeth and root surfaces
- Reshaping teeth
- Preparing teeth for oral restorations like crowns or veneers
- Removing decayed tooth material
- Preparing teeth for root canals
One of the biggest benefits laser dentistry provides is the reduced pain and discomfort during and after procedures. In some cases, using a laser can eliminate the need for an anesthetic. Other benefits of performing dental treatments with lasers include:
- Less noise: Lasers do not generate as much noise as some of the tools dentists traditionally use. For example, dental drills are powerful, loud machines, and they can increase the anxiety of people with dental phobias
- No vibration: Tools like dental drills generate vibrations that can lead to discomfort. Lasers do not have this effect
- High level of precision: Lasers allow dentists to work on their patient's teeth with a high level of precision. This often leads to more of the tooth being preserved during treatments
- Faster recovery: Cuts made with lasers often lead to less bleeding and the patient recovers faster compared to when metal tools are used
Laser dentistry provides alternative treatments for periodontal disease
Periodontal disease is an advanced infection that affects the gums and the structures that support teeth. It is often the result of teeth and gums which have been neglected for extended periods, but it can also be caused by factors like genetics, chronic diseases like diabetes and certain medications.
Treatment for gum disease often involves cleaning pockets in the gums that are filled with bacteria and infected tissues. The patient's teeth and gums are also cleaned during these treatments. The standard way of treating gum disease involves dentists using surgical treatments to pull back the gums so that tooth roots and gum pockets can be cleaned. It is an effective procedure, but it can lead to pain and discomfort.
Laser treatments provide a less invasive way to treat gum disease. Instead of cuts being made or the gums being pulled back, a laser with the thickness of a few strands of hair is inserted into the space between teeth and gums then used to clean out the infection. Benefits of treating gum disease with a laser include:
- Less cutting
- Less pain
- Quicker treatments
- Fewer dietary restrictions
- Better results
- Faster results
- A safer alternative for people with deficient immune systems
Ready to give laser dentistry a try?
Call our San Francisco clinic to learn more about the laser treatments we provide.
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
For those looking to achieve a whiter, brighter smile, a cosmetic dentist can help people meet their goals with satisfying and long-lasting results. A professional tooth whitening is a relatively simple and straightforward procedure. However, it is important that patients understand the process and necessary follow-up care to enjoy a more favorable outcome.When a dental…
Dental veneers from a cosmetic dentist can correct issues with a person's smile, such as gaps in the teeth, crowding, or mild misalignment, and improve the overall appearance. Establishing a regular routine to care for dental veneers can prolong the life and maintain the aesthetic appeal of the veneers.In many ways, caring for dental veneers…
Dental implants have joined the list of replacement options for missing teeth, with many patients preferring the look and feel of implants to dentures or bridges. In addition to providing patients with natural-looking teeth, implants are effective in restoring confidence and making eating or speaking more comfortable. They also can improve an individual’s oral health.…