A smile makeover is a combination of two or more treatments that are performed primarily to improve the way that a person's smile looks. Dental issues typically treated during this cosmetic procedure include stains, damaged teeth, and poor teeth alignment.Damaged teeth ruining the aesthetics of a smile? Here are treatments that a dentist might recommend…
Can Invisalign Invisible Braces Close My Tooth Gaps?
Invisalign® invisible braces are a discreet way to improve the alignment of teeth. These oral appliances can be used to fix a variety of dental issues, including gaps between teeth. Other teeth alignment problems invisible braces can be used to fix include crooked teeth, crossbites, overbites and underbites.
Fixing gaps with invisible braces like Invisalign®
There are a variety of reasons why a person can develop abnormal spacing between their teeth. The condition is called diastema and it can be caused by bad habits, diseases or genetics. Fortunately, oral appliances like metal braces and invisible braces can be used to close up these spaces. Other dental tools like crowns and composite resins can also be used to hide such gaps.
Some of the most common reasons why people develop diastema includes:
- Teeth too small for the jaw: This is the most common reason why people develop gaps between their teeth.
- One or more permanent teeth failing to erupt: Some people do not have all of the permanent teeth they should have.
- Oversized labial frenum: The labial frenum is the tissue that connects the gums to the upper lip. An oversized one can lead to teeth separating from one another, causing unnatural gaps.
- Thumb-sucking: Infants who are slow to stop the habit of sucking on their thumbs can end up pushing the alignment of their teeth forward, leading to diastema.
- Gum disease: Gum disease leads to a loss of bone tissue. The breakdown of the jaw can lead to teeth becoming loose and moving out of place, creating gaps.
- Abnormal swallow reflex: A person's tongue should be pushed up against their palate while swallowing. People with a condition called tongue thrust push on their teeth with their tongue while swallowing. This can lead to the formation of gaps.
Treating diastema with Invisalign®
Invisalign® invisible braces allow patients to close up gaps between their teeth discreetly. The treatment involves using removable aligner trays that are made with transparent plastic. This makes them difficult to notice in the mouth, making them a popular way to straighten teeth and close gaps. Invisalign® aligners are one of the most effective ways to fix diastema.
Dentists use X-rays and 3D imaging to create personalized treatment plans for each patient. They are able to show the patient projections of what their teeth will look like over the course of their treatment. The patient uses a different set of aligner trays every two weeks, and each new set of aligners pushes their teeth closer to the desired position. Over time, the patient's teeth are pushed closer together, closing up any gaps between them. The average treatment time for Invisalign® is about a year.
Get started with invisible braces
Treatments like Invisalign® can be used to close any unusual spaces in your smile. That can lead to more confidence as the aesthetics of your smile is restored. Call or visit our San Francisco clinic to learn more about treatments with invisible braces.
Let's get started…
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Getting a dental filling is one of the most common dental treatments in modern dentistry. It is a quick way to restore a tooth that has sustained damage from cavities. A dental filling can help level the surface of your tooth and help improve your jaw function. If you want to find out more, the…
Gum disease can put your entire body at risk, not just your mouth. Oral health is not just about your gum, mouth, or tooth health. The mouth is one of your body’s entryways, so if your oral health is not well, there might be negative consequences. If the gums bleed or your teeth ache, you…
Lumineers® was developed as an advanced version of regular porcelain veneers. For the right person, Lumineers can be a quick and effective way to transform the smile’s appearance. Continue reading to know if this cosmetic treatment is right for you.Regular porcelain veneers often involve removing the enamel layer of the teeth to make room for…